Passport and Visa

Indian nationals travelling abroad require a valid Indian passport and travel authority for the destination country. The travel authority is normally in the form of Visa, which is obtained prior to the journey, except in case of countries where “Visa on Arrival” is available.

Indians travelling abroad may also note that some countries insist for certain minimum period of passport validity for allowing entry.

Foreign Nationals coming to India are required to possess a genuine and valid national passport or any other internationally recognized travel document establishing his/her nationality and identity and bearing photograph of self.Exemptions

Nepal and Bhutan nationals if entering India by land or air from the Nepal or Bhutan border respectively do not require a passport for entering into India. However, they are required to possess, authorized identity proof. Further if they are entering India from a place other than their own country then possession of passport is a must.

Foreigner’s Regional Registration Offices (FRROs) in New Delhi, Mumbai and Calcutta and the Chief Immigration Officer in Madras, handle visa renewals as well as permits for Restricted Areas, via Andaman Islands, Sikkim, Assam, Ladakh, Lahaul Spiti, etc.

New Delhi: 1st Floor, Hans Bhavan, Tilak Bridge, New Delhi – 110002. Telephone: (91 11) 3319489

Calcutta: 9/1, Gariahat Road, Calcutta – 700020. Telephone: (91 33) 443301, 2470549

Chennai: 9, Village Road, Nungabakkam, Madras – 600034. Telephone: (91 44) 8270549

Mumbai: 2nd Floor, 414 V.S. Marg, Prabhadevi, Mumbai – 400001. Telephone: (91 22) 430133

Amritsar: 123-D, Ranjit Avenue, Amritsar – 143001. Telephone: (91 183 2214186)

Foreigners are advised to ensure that they are in possession of valid Indian Visa before they start their journey to India. Government of India currently allows “Visa on Arrival” for foreign nationals of few selected countries.
The fees for getting Indian Visa vary from country to country. Please check with the Indian Embassy in the respective country for the applicable fee.
Powers of VISA conversions and extensions to foreigners residing in India, vests with the Ministry of Home Affairs, Foreigner’s Division, Jaisalmer House, 26, Man Singh Road New Delhi.. For this purpose the foreigners can approach the Ministry of Home Affairs (Foreigners Division), Jaisalmer House, 26, Man Singh Road, New Delhi between 10 AM to 12 Noon on all working days (Monday to Friday). The change of VISA status from one category to another category is normally not allowed. It can be considered by the Ministry of Home Affairs, only in extraordinary circumstances.